Sunday, August 26, 2012

Reading Response

      At this moment, I'm reading the book Grief Girl: My True Story by Erin Vincent. I'm just about half way through it, but it's obviously a true story about herself when she was fourteen. Her parents died in an accident that left her bruised. I have never experienced or struggled with the sorrowful, dreadful feelings that she said she dealt with when the event occurred and so far eight months after the incident occurred, even when my great-grandmother died. I mean, I was melancholy, but not in any sense where I wanted to go to an institute for girls with mental issues, depression, or stuff like that like she did.
      Erin lived with her sister named Tracy who was eighteen and her brother named Trent who was three when the parents died. Erin had to help work to make ends meat along with Tracy so they could keep the house with all the perks such as electricity and running water. She worked in a cookie place at the mall part-time when she had school and full-time when she was on school breaks. I can't imagine any one hiring me at the age of fourteen because I think it goes against child labor laws or something or maybe it's just a certain amount of hours where it would be unlawful. Furthermore, I wouldn't know if I would be capable of keeping the job because I don't have a car or anything so I wouldn't have anyone to take me meaning that I wouldn't be at the job on-time and I couldn't make all the days I was supposed to work.
       At school though, the teachers and faculty held it easy on Erin. She didn't even wear the school uniform and  she went and left school as she pleased. I would love this type of situation, but I don't think I would take advantage of it because I think I would go along with the school rules and try to act normal. Or maybe I would, haha, I don't know, but I don't think my school would allow it anyway.
       I can't wait to see what else Erin goes through. Then I'll share my opinions on the fact of the matter. I'll be back soon to share the rest of my opinions on Grief Girl: My True Story. I have enjoyed it thus far.

    8/20-10 min., 8/25-120 min., 8/26-45 min.
    Total: 175 minutes, pp.1-180
   
   

2 comments:

  1. Good post Porscha. You didn't concentrate too much on the plot, and you described connections to your own life. I hope you like the rest of your book. xD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was about to comment on this, but I think Gavin said it well. You are making strong connections, and certainly a book like this asks us to consider grief in our own lives, and what grief might make us do or become. Do you think that if you experienced what she experienced, that you would react the way she did?

    ReplyDelete