Saturday, August 25, 2012

In Defense of School: A Student's Manifesto

      Through the exhilarating years of high school, students don't just experience the thrill of parties, extra-curricular, and sport's games, but also the back-burning, hoard of homework. Not only high school students, but basically all the people who have to go from first grade through college. Essays, projects, and assignments that you have to venture through at home can keep you up all night and make you feel as if your eyes are about to roll in the back of your head just because you're that sleepy. It's like we are enduring a period of insomnia just so we can obtain the points we need to achieve the grade we want to have. This rarely happens in the first quarter of the school year, but for the rest of the year, a lot of student feel like they are going through some agonizing event. Even when I have to study for test, sometimes, I wonder if I was listening to what the teacher was saying whenever we discussed the topic because that's how I feel when a science test comes along. I guess that's just how it's going to be for the rest of my years though.
      In defense of school, they just want us to learn. I don't think they mean any harm because they just want us to get our education in the long run. I mean, they are just trying to prepare us for our career. I especially need to start getting better in those science tests, considering I'm anticipating to become a pediatrician. Plus, the years ahead are just going to get harder and harder, and I don't think the teachers are going to care how much work or preparation we need to have for other classes, or how long and what things we need to do at practices, or even chores and responsibilities we have to take care of at home because life is tough, and we just need to deal with it. They want us to balance our time and figure out what days we need to do this and that on because we shouldn't procrastinate and expect something good out of it. We have to obtain some type of time management. Then, maybe life will be better and things won't be as hard. But, that's just coming from a student.

2 comments:

  1. I understand Porscha, I understand. I had a high school class last year, so if it's any comfort, I can tell you that the teachers do care, and they want us to succeed. You are, however, completely correct when you say managing your time is important- not just important, vital. Great point!-- Mary Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right that we certainly don't mean any harm! I promise that we want to see you succeed, both now and in the long-run, and having high standards for you and pushing you to learn to manage your time are both important to that long-term success. I like that you are defending something you are still considering here, and that you clearly see both sides. I appreciate your well-developed posts.

    ReplyDelete