Monday, January 28, 2013

Research Topic

          Hey. I'm about to tell you about my research topic for English. First off, my questions are what was the role of a Gypsy during the Holocaust, and how were they affected? And how did certain countries feel about them, and how do they feel about them now? I really wasn't interested in this topic until Ms. Brock told me my original topic was too broad. My overall original topic was literally "Holocaust/World War II" because I barely understood what we were doing for the project, but Ms. Brock recommended some topics to me. I thought Gypsies would be the coolest one to talk about. I learned the Gypsies were outcasts to Germany when they moved there, and most people didn't like them. They had to go straight to concentration camps just like the Jews.  Also, countries besides Germany wanted to get rid of them. Even now some people don't like the Gypsies.

          The topic I have chosen is based on Gypsies during the Holocaust. The specific questions are what was the role of a Gypsy during the Holocaust, and how were they affected? Also, how did certain countries feel about them, and how do they feel about them now? I was intrigued by this topic after the school's librarian, Ms. Brock, recommended me to looking into further detail with the topic of Gypsies during the Holocaust. I have learned a significant amount of information as I had to do an annotated bibliography. The bibliography allowed me to read at least ten articles, journals, books, etc. and find information that would help me answer my research questions. Gypsies originated from India. They moved to Germany with diverse culture, different appearance, and a different language than the people who lived in Germany. They were basically outcasts, pariahs, in Germany. They lived in ghettos of Germany because they didn't have enough money to live anywhere else because nobody would give them a job. Later, they had to go to concentration camps, along with the Jews, because Hitler felt the same way about them like he felt about the Jews. Back then, other countries didn't want Gypsies to move to their area because of all the stereotypes about them being criminals and filthy people. Now, some countries still show an outrageous amount of discrimination towards the Gypsies. I find that ridiculous, but from what  I have found, it's true.

Reading Times: 1/23 read and annotated one article(30 minutes) 1/24  read and annotated 7 articles(3 1/2 hours)
Total: 8 articles, 4 hours

4 comments:

  1. Great Job Porscha! Sounds like you have a lot of support to answer your research question. Good use of pariah too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with dru. I did not expect you to find very many sources on this topic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Porscha, work on narrowing your research to one question and one answer to that question. Think about keeping your focus on the Gypsies' role in World War II. See annotated bibliography comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a really interesting topic! You will have a lot to research and write about. Better get to work! :)

    ReplyDelete