Sunday, November 4, 2012

Reading Response

     Right now I am reading North of Beautiful by Justina Chen Headley. This book takes like forever to read, but it's not even that long. I guess it's just the amount of words on one page, I don't know. The book is pretty cool though. I like how Terra, the main character, makes these art collages and works at this art gallery just where they put their work on display. She is kind of insecure about her work because she does care what other people think about her. One reason is because that she has a large, pomegranate colored birthmark on her cheek. In my opinion, it doesn't matter what you look like, but the character and personality that is within. She is also insecure about her cheek because even her dad talks about her!
    I can't stand Terra's dad. He's just so pessimistic about everything and talks about every detail about a person he doesn't like. He even talks about his own wife because of her weight! He puts a damper on his family's parade which I find insane! The entire family doesn't like him that much, and Terra's mom is scared to divorce him. He doesn't even hit them, he just uses his words, and that just seems like a blow in the throat.  Another thing is that he draws or makes maps, and he doesn't even include China in any of them, and that is just rude and inconsiderate. Actually, he does consider China, but he just throws it away like it is some kind of trash.
    The book is well written, and I guess the point is for me not to like Terra's dad, but he just gets on my nerves. I like how all the children in the book support each other through those times and help support their mom. The main point of the book isn't even about the dad though. It's about how Terra meets this guy that really different, and he changes the way she thinks about things in a positive way.

Reading Times for this book: Oct 29-15 min, Oct 30-15 min, Oct 31-15 min., November 1-15 min, November 3-50 min, November 4- 40 min., 101-165 pages
Total: 150 min., 64 pages

2 comments:

  1. Nice post, Porscha! This book sounds really interesting and I like the thought you put into it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If your wondering why im commenting on this responce it's because my sister read the same book. I like all the deatail you included without giving away the entire plot or summary.

    ReplyDelete